« Home | Rosie O'Donnell - Find Me » | Been a long time » | Movie Madness » | Playing -card Killer » | a girl about the net » | Snack Food Chinese Zodiac » | Reading list » | blogmonkee crazies » | the signs » | holiday crash n' burn » 

Monday, April 04, 2005 

All Families Are Psychotic

All Families Are Psychotic - Douglas Coupland

I'm feeling very great about my dysfunctional family after reading this book. At times this novel is a little hard to believe; however it is very entertaining. I liked the characters a great deal. Other then some outlandish antics the characters themselves were believable. I could relate to each character either because I am somewhat like them or because they reminded my of a family member. To me the book is a glaring representation of what happens when the head of the family stops paying attention. I come from a very female dominated family. We are an aggressive bunch really. I'm not saying we are without defect - oh because we are swimming in the dysfunctional pool of life as well.

A brief synopsis of the plot: enter family; mom, dad (re-married) and three adult children (2 male and 1 female). They (and their spouses) are all getting together to see their sister (a thalidomide victim sans hands) off into space. The adventure that ensues is perplexing and downright hilarious, a madness that explodes into chaos. Yes, there is a happy ending but what's wrong with that? I have to admit, it's refreshing to see that sometimes we do get another chance at life. An opportunity to show that we have learned from past mistakes.

I am not sure I would recommend this book because it really is an acquired taste. I have read that this was not his best novel. I think I will read another of his books; Microserfs, Generation X, Girlfriend in a Coma or Life after God and then decide on him as a writer.

On to my next book; which I think may not be one of the ones listed. It's springtime and I fell like reading something a little more whimsical. I am sure I can find something in my massive book collection.

You should read Geek Love , Its great. I think you would like it.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm mona
  • From
My profile

Blogroll